LIBSS7 not on asterisk.org?

Quite the opposite. SS7 is used extensively on the interconnect side.
The more the landline subscriber base erodes and voip subscriber base
grows, the more demand there will be fore voip operators to interconnect
with existing landline operators.

Also, from a development perspective, those that using libss7 are likely
to be the same people buying Digium's more expensive hardware (Quad and
Octal port T1/E1 with echo cancellation, high-density transcoding, etc.)
so it is not about how many people use libss7 so much as how much
revenue the userbase of libss7 generates for Digium. In my desk drawer,
I currently have three spare TE820BF cards (i.e. just spares and
excluding the many ones I have in active deployment). I buy them
regularly. If libss7 ceased to exist, so would my spending on Digium
TE820BF cards.

As for the previous comment, I've used both chan_ss7 and libss7 in
production environments and found both to be very stable if set up
correctly (and provided you don't use chan_ss7's cluster features).
chan_ss7 seemed more feature-rich a few years ago. The key reasons I
changed from chan_ss7 to libss7 was that I needed T.38 gateway features
available in Asterisk 10/11 and that there was a bug in chan_ss7 where
it sent empty optionals section. But to suggest that chan_ss7 is
unusable is really unfair.