some observations

Hi,

I have set up a number of asterisk / libss7 /dahdi boxes. One of my
more interesting setups is below (using 2 Sangoma A104d cards). I
ended up with this after the teleclom shifted locations and added
additional Media Gateways and MSS:

### WAN port mappings

wanpipe1 (1st port on 1st sangoma crard) maps to SPAN 1 (system.conf)
wanpipe3 (3rd port 1st card ) => SPAN 2
wanpipe6 (2nd port 2nd card) maps to SPAN 3
wanpipe5 (1st prot 2nd card) maps to SPAN 4
wanpipe2 (2nd port 1st card) maps to SPAN 5

###  system.conf

span=1,0,0,ccs,hdb3
bchan=2-31
dchan=1
span=2,0,0,ccs,hdb3
bchan=32-62
span=3,0,0,ccs,hdb3
bchan=63-93
span=4,0,0,ccs,hdb3
bchan=95-124
dchan=94
span=5,0,0,ccs,hdb3
bchan=125-155

###  chan_dahdi.conf

linkset = 1
group=3
context = from-blabla
signalling=ss7
ss7type = itu
networkindicator = national_spare
pointcode = ZZZ
;;; MGW1 AAA /MSS1 BBB
adjpointcode = AAA
defaultdpc = BBB
sigchan = 1
cicbeginswith = 2
channel = 2-31
cicbeginswith = 33
channel = 32-62
cicbeginswith = 65
channel = 63-93
;;; MGW3 CCC /MSS4 DDD
adjpointcode = CCC
defaultdpc = DDD
sigchan = 94
cicbeginswith = 2
channel = 95-124
cicbeginswith = 33
channel = 125-155

This setup has been working fine for me. However there some issues
that have been buggin me:

Every once in  a while weird things start happening such as: no audio
on an answered call, or a wrong number is dialed. This is when I
usually restart asterisk and the sangoma driver (wanrouter). I usually
have to do this once in a week but I am hesitant to add a cron job to
do this. I have also noticed that if i don't bring up the ports
(wanpipe[13652]) in the correct order, I get issues such as asterisk
dropping calls if they reach say 63 active calls.  When I fire up the
wanports in the correct order, in my case 1,3,6,5,2 and then start
asterisk, everything works fine and i can do 150+ concurrent calls,
until about 1 week to 10 days later when I start getting issues again.
I have also noticed that asterisk doesn't  seem to be able to
correctly respond to Group Block / Release messages.

My question is, is it time for me to start looking for a commercial
solution? In our country we have finally gotten connected to the
Internet via a submarine fiber cable reducing round trip times  from
ca 700 ms to below 200 ms. We also have way more affordable bandwidth
available to us. All this really boosted our VoIP traffic and I am not
sure that my solution based on OSS can scale well with the high
increasing demand. So am wondering if it is now time to join the dark
side and start considering "black boxes"?

Regards

--
Markus