Re: ARI play to channel without muting channel

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 5:47 AM Joshua C. Colp <jcolp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 4:29 AM Fridrich Maximilian <M.Fridrich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It is not expected, and I do believe there are people doing this. You'd need
>> to show the precise things you are doing and what events occur. Underneath
>> it's using the same stuff as ChanSpy, so if that works then Snoop should
>> work.
>
> Oh, there IS an inherent limitation in the underlying API that all this uses
> - it requires media flowing to the channel in order to whisper into it. If
> that's not happening, then it won't occur.

So far I've had no luck with the snoop channel. I have tried all combinations of
the spy=in&whisper=out parameters when creating the snoop channel via ARI and
the logs and events we receive all look correct - no errors/warnings or
anything.

Here's what we are doing in our scenario:

1. An incoming PJSIP channel enters the Stasis Application.
2. We create an externalMedia channel and a bridge.
3. We add the externalMedia and PJSIP channel to the bridge.

There is always audio flowing from the incoming PJSIP channel to the
externalMedia channel.

Is media flowing TO the incoming PJSIP channel?

To finish my early morning thought. The answer is likely no, which is why whispering doesn't work. Whispering requires a constant stream of media TO the channel[1]. This is because such core functionality predates any timing or ability to provide its own frames out. Swapping things could work. That is: Feed a snoop channel into external media, and then call /play directly on the channel.

[1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-24397

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead