Re: DTMF/other uses question

Tickling Contest wrote:
I have a DTMF related question. I understand how to reap DTMF using
Asterisk, and related application environments, for example, ARI. See as
an example
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/ARI+and+Channels%3A+Handling+DTMF.

While, sending DTMF over a landline phone is slow; I was wondering if
there is anyway to send it faster over PSTN for applications using
smartphone apps as the SIP UA, so that my PBX connected via a SIP trunk
into an Asterisk PBX, can retrieve more information faster (e.g.,
retrieve a 40-digit DTMF quicker than 1 second). For starters, is it
even possible? if so, how have you achieved it? My thinking is, "if fax
can do this, there has to be other ways of using DTMF..."

Fax does not use DTMF, it uses a few different other methods to encode data. As for being fast there's a minimum amount of time that a DTMF digit can be for most detectors to recognize it as DTMF, so you can't really blast DTMF that fast.

Do common libraries like PJSIP allow this? What API calls are involved,
if so?

We don't use PJMEDIA for that so I can't comment.

--
Joshua Colp