Re: Send a SIP NOTIFY via a softphone, not via Asterisk

Thank you Mark for your answer.

BTW, a long time ago, I had an issue with AMI to send NOTIFY because it was impossible to set a specific header.
I don't remember exactly the problem, but finally, I've used scapy to inject SIP NOTIFY. It was very ugly, but it works.

I'll follow your suggestion with AMI command and the latest Asterisk version, I'll ping if I have again an issue.

Have a nice week-end.

--
Ludovic Gasc (GMLudo)

Hello,

Asterisk is not a SIP proxy, so it does not forward SIP traffic to destinations. In your case, you're likely seeing a 489 response because Asterisk only knows about specific events in NOTIFY requests ("refer" for transfers, "message-summary" for outbound MWI subscriptions, "keep-alive" for certain devices' NAT keepalives, and "call-completion" for call completion subscriptions. Anything else is not understood by Asterisk, so you get a 489 Bad Event response.

If you want to send NOTIFYs from Asterisk, you must use AMI or the CLI commands to do so.