Re: Debugging ARI apps and mixing bridge with DTMF events

Nick Horelik wrote:
Thanks for your help.  This is all running on amazon AWS so perhaps I do
have NAT issues. However, if that's the case I don't get why media flows
when I don't add 'dtmf_events' to the bridge type, and why it works when
I do have that bridge type with both sides using the working trunk.  Is
it because asterisk detects different dtmf modes between the two outside
endpoints and only then tries to have media flow through itself on our
network?

I'd suggest taking ARI out of the equation for the moment and sending your calls to a simple Answer and then Playback. That will confirm one leg of your media path. After that I'd suggest using Dial() to call your outgoing leg and see what happens.

As for why it works - I think what is happening is that Asterisk is using a mechanism to have both legs talk directly to eachother so media is not flowing through Asterisk. Since Flowroute has public IPs it's all good. You can disable this functionally by placing "direct_media=no" in your endpoints.

If you disable direct media and you still get no media then it's most likely something network related. Personally I haven't touched AWS in *years* but I do know they do some interesting network stuff. It made be worthwhile to also post this to the asterisk-users mailing list which has much more people who have most likely run into exactly this.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp