Re: Prototype voicemail application using ARI and Node.js

Greetings,

I'm writing to announce that we have ceased development on the voicemail prototype application we elicited feedback on previously. We will be applying lessons we learned along the way to implement a voicemail application using Node.js and ARI. Before I go into details as to where we are headed, let me mention that feedback is still welcomed. As with the prototype, all work will be published on our Github profile [1]. Please feel free to comment, create issues, or submit pull requests as we continue to work on a new voicemail application using ARI.

In light of the prototype we created and the lessons we learned along the way, the following changes will be applied to our new approach:

- functions returning object literals with closures to support private data as opposed to multiple layers of prototypical objects.
- the data layer will be organized by methods operating on given tables instead of grouping all methods together in an implementation of a large interface.
- the data layer will do more work to dynamically build objects from database records as opposed to hard-coding fields (this will require naming conventions)
- finite state machines will not pass on the responsibility of implementing business logic by emitting events. Rather, the finite state machines will drive all business logic.
- the voicemail and voicemail main applications will be separated into separate applications.
- along with voicemail and voicemail main, the data layer, mailbox, authentication, and other abstraction layers will be separated into individual git repositories acting as node modules to be included in the voicemail and voicemail main applications via git url dependencies in packages.json. The modules will be independent and contain their own tests.

[1] https://github.com/asterisk/

--

Samuel Fortier-Galarneau
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer