Basic questions about Stasis, ari-py

Hello,

I am a bit new to Asterisk in general, so I apologize if this is a very basic question.  After scouring the internet for a few days I seem to be unable to find a good description of what an 'external Stasis application' is at a high level.  The 'Getting Started with ARI' article has been very helpful getting me going on ARI in general, but beyond mentioning that 'my application' needs to be connected with Stasis there isn't much guidance on where I should look next for how to write that application and where I would install it.

In particular I'm hoping to use ari-py [1], which has been useful in helping me learn.  However, all the provided examples still try to point to the same 'hello' app mentioned in the getting started guide, which of course will fail for me since I don't know how to create or where to put this 'hello' app.

I can successfully use ari-py to do things like:

client.channels.originate(endpoint="PJSIP/<mynumber>@mytrunk",extension="hello-world", context="default")

to call my cell phone and play a message hardcoded into a hello-world extension, for instance, but I'm not sure how to do anything more complicated than that. The next thing I would like to learn how to do is use ARI to specify an audio file to play (perhaps using /channel/{channelID}/play), but it's my understanding at this point that I need my channels inside a stasis application before I can do that.

Again, I'm sorry if my confusion arises from a failure to understand something basic about Asterisk in general.  I would greatly appreciate any hints for where I should be looking for references that can help me learn more.

Thanks,

Nick Horelik

[1] https://github.com/asterisk/ari-py