Re: API/AMI Question

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Glen Millard <glenmillard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Folks;

Hi Glenn,

I am using Asterisk 11 and I'm wondering if there is some sort of API available for it? I know there is one for Asterisk 12, but I am not ready to upgrade at the moment.

If I wanted to use some sort of API (Rest or otherwise) what are my options with Asterisk 11?

Asterisk 11 doesn't have any of the the new ARI interface within it, Asterisk 11 has the AMI/AGI and AMI over HTTP interfaces.

If I have to update to v12, I would want to continue using chan_sip as I don't really have the time for the learning curve to learn the new SIP stack at the moment.

That's entirely possible! You don't have to use pjsip, chan_sip is still entirely there; just know that new features are much more likely to hit pjsip than chan_sip

Any suggestions would be helpful.

What kind of application are you planning on building? It may be that the ARI as it stands today wouldn't really work for you anyway - it's not full of "asterisk got a call in a queue" and "that calls now been answered by extension Y", it's designed to start being able to write a replacement for app_queue so that you can write your own business logic into a queueing mechanism. I hope in the future we get a nicer interface into some of the information the AMI gives you, but this isn't what the ARI gives right now.

There are projects out there to help you with talking to the AMI, some of which probably put an HTTP interface on top of it, Asterisk even does this, but in my experience a REST HTTP interface is right for some things and just wouldn't work for others, which is why the ARI also utilises websockets.

If you want any more advice, maybe you could let us know what kind of thing you'd be looking to build?

Thanks - Glen

Dan