Event naming conventions

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Paul Belanger <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Paul Belanger
> <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com>
> wrote:

Two things:

(1) Sacrificing a few bytes is rarely worth it, even in the most strict of
real time systems. The amount of electrons perturbed by 7 characters is
worth the sacrifice it if it conveys meaning to the consumer of the API.

(2) The event conveys what happened: A channel entered a bridge, or a
channel left a bridge. Consider your alternatives:
* BridgeChannelAdded - somewhat acceptable, but now we've inverted the
order of the nouns in the event so it is somewhat less clear as to what
occurred. Is the object that was affected a bridge, a channel, or a
bridgechannel? (And yes, in Asterisk, a BridgeChannel is a thing. Just not
something an ARI consumer should ever be aware of.)
* BridgeAdded - what was added? A channel? Another bridge? (This is not so
absurd as you might think)
* BridgeEntered - again - what entered?

Again: ChannelEnteredBridge conveys exactly what just happened, a channel
entered a bridge. I don't even need to look at documentation to know what
that event implies.

How is that not better?

--
Matthew Jordan