How do third party module developersexposetheir resources via asterisk ARI?

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Paul Albrecht <palbrecht at glccom.com>wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 9:28 AM, Paul Belanger <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Paul Albrecht <palbrecht at glccom.com>
> wrote:
> > I think you might be missing the concept of ARI, you wouldn't write
> > your app in C to generate ARI resources.  You'd write your application
> > atop of ARI and consume them.
> >

> I'm talking about third party asterisk modules that may need to expose
> their resources to applications that manage asterisk via the AMI/CLI. They
> may need to expose their resources so that an application can manage their
> resources.

The short answer is yes: ARI is extensible. Both the RESTful interface as
well as the JSON events can be extended via shared object libraries.

The longer answer is what Paul B. is driving towards: what do you want to
expose through ARI?

ARI's current purpose is to provide raw communications objects to
application developers so that they can build their own applications. These
concepts are generally fundamental to Asterisk: things like bridges,
channels, endpoints, and the like. If I'm a third party and I've written my
own channel driver, I'm already going to be represented under the channels
resource (you may have to do a bit of work to integrate yourself as an
endpoint, but again, there are APIs for that).

What fundamental resource are you thinking of providing that is not already
represented in Asterisk?

> > Again, what sort of thing are you looking to do.
> >

> Don't have a specific scenario for you. I'm just asking. It really should
> be obvious. The ARI should be extendible as are the CLI and AMI interfaces.
> If they're not, the what's explanation/rationale?

And if the answer to my question is "I don't know, but I just wanted to
know if the option is there", then yes, the option is there to extend the
API.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager