What replaces pulseaudio-jack when you go to pipewire? Why do the apps keep disappearing?

Hi, I'm in the process of moving from Pulseaudio/Jack to pipewire and
I chose to go with wireplumber if that matters.

So far most of this makes sense, I have the new patch bay app qpwgraph
working as well as my previously used patchbay app Carla, which also
seems like it could still be useful. My sound devices appear to be
recognized.

The first and most pressing question: When running Gnome, how do I get
control of the basic system sound levels back? When using Pulse I'd
install pulseaudio-jack and I'd get a Sink and a Source that I'd
select in Gnome's settings and that's it, I now have my PC sound
routable through Jack. With pipewire all of the apps just seem to do
what they want and appear and disappear at random. What can I do to
replicate the stability previously given by pulseaudio-jack?

The other question I had was about the appear/disappear concept... How
do I make the apps persistent so they don't just keep
disconnecting/reconnecting where they want by default? When I patch
the apps somewhere I need them to stick around, or at least repatch
themselves when I need them. Let's use VLC as an example, once VLC is
done playing sound the app disappears from the list. Same with Chrome
and Firefox; once the noises stop the apps vanish from the patchbay.
How can I make them persistent?

Thanks for any help I can get with this! Sean