Re: snd with scheme

On 2021-07-10 07:15:27 (+0000), Kenneth Flak via arch-proaudio wrote:
> I've recently started working with the snd editor (the audacity
> debacle gave me that last push...), and I was just wondering what the
> rationale is for shipping snd with ruby support, instead of the
> default scheme? Would it be an idea to keep the snd package in
> community with the scheme default, and instead create a
> snd-{ruby,forth} package in aur instead for those that use those?

Hi Kenneth,

sorry for the late reply. I have been fairly busy with other aspects of
the distro lately.

Could you elaborate on why it is problematic for your workflow to have
the ruby dependency?
From what I can see snd is able to use either of the additional
extension languages (such as ruby [1] or forth [2]) when compiled with
them.

Maybe I don't understand the limitations of the program/build system
correctly, but although the configure step [3] seems to imply an
"either/or" situation with the extension language, it is not really
clear as to what this means in regards to the extension language and the
scheme default.

FWIW: With current snd in the repos I am able to open ruby or scheme
based files (admittedly there's still a ruby gem missing for cmath
though).

Best,
David

[1] https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/grfsnd.html#sndandruby