Re: How to rename an AUR package

On 2019-01-24 23:29:38 (+0100), Daniel Appelt wrote:
> an AUR package that I have created needs an update to a new version.
> At the same time, I was notified that I should rename it, i.e. add
> suffix "-bin" as it is a binary package.
Which package is it specifically?

Regarding rename/merge [1]:
File a merge request (it's a link on the package's site) towards the new
name "${pkgname}-bin". This also moves the votes and comments over
(after being approved by a TU).

If you don't care about your (git and comment) history: Plainly request
a delete of the package "$pkgname" (there's also a link for that on the
package's site), after creating the "${pkgname}-bin" package.

Update the pkgname in your PKGBUILD to the new name and push, after the
merge request has been completed!

> Could someone please explain to me what would be the best way to do
> this? A high level explanation should suffice. I am especially
> concerned about how to let existing users know of the package rename.
Users can still find the package through search. However, if you intend
to give some heads up, you could write a note on the old package's
comment section.

Arch users are not considererd to be your every day novice Linux users,
so I'm sure, they'll get along :D

Best,
David

P.S.: Next time please use aur-general [2] or aur-requests [3] for this
type of question (it is probably the more suited location).

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Other_requests