Re: 'proaudio-settings' package

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:47:33 +0200, SpotlightKid wrote:
>Ralf, may I ask you, as a courtesy to others:
>
>* do not full quote.

Hi,

this happened by accident. You might have noticed that I'm usually not
quoting full text, at least not without inline replying. You might also
have noticed, that I'm not the only one who quoted everything during
this thread ;).

>* use the frickin return key to divide your posts into some paragraphs.

Usually I also try to do this, it anyway happens automatically when
doing inline reply. However, sometimes I simply type a reply very
fast and could miss to add paragraphs, while being in a hurry and try
to keep all notes in mind.

Back to the topic:

I wonder if most of us prefer such a package and if so, if there are
advantages I might have missed?

Or if most of us agree with my point of view, that audio set-ups differ
way too much and there could be too many pitfalls, when changing
(upstream) defaults to values, that might improve rt performance, but
that not necessarily are needed to get a good rt performance.

A simple example, keep in mind, to use CPU frequency scaling governor
'performance' indeed could be required for some audio work, at least on
some machines, but it might not be needed for all kinds of pro-audio
usage, while charge of a battery could be important for some kind of
pro-audio work.

It's not that easy to find universal optimized settings that are useful
for most kinds of pro-audio usage, as well as useful for many hardware
set-ups.

I might be mistaken, but some 'improvements' even seems to be esoteric,
or at best useful for hardware, that isn't supported by Arch Linux
repositories. We easily could end up with a package providing improved
defaults values, as well as counter-productive values. If at all, a
script with everything commented out might be helpful and a user could
read the scripts comments and then uncomment what could be useful.

Keep in mind that the user-friendly distros mentioned by the OP follow
a policy, where e.g. each service provided by package is automatically
enabled. Those distros by default autostart tons of unneeded software
that need resources. If you install an Arch Linux package to get some
software, but you don't want that a daemon you don't need, that also is
provided by this package, gets autostarted, you have to do nothing.

So called 'user-friendliness' ships with pitfalls.

Regards,
Ralf