Re: JDK/JRE and older Java versions

Hello Edward,

thank You for Your reply. In the mean time I could solve the problem
after noticing the missing version id in the update package by addition
of these lines in my pacman.conf:

IgnorePkg   = openjdk-doc openjdk-src
IgnorePkg   = jre-openjdk jdk-openjdk jre-openjdk-headless

This gave me a chance to update my Arch installation, at least.

However, I also noticed that this can only be a temporary solution, as I
cannot "protect" dedicated Java versions this way anymore.

So Your advice sounds a good alternative. But most companies using older
Java versions are doing this because they don't (want to) containerize
their production environments for different reasons, so I had no need to
organize my work using docker and as a result, I do not have much
experience with it, yet. I'd prefer to just use Java in the same manner
as I do now, just switching the version by starting some other
container, and I will have to look for the best way to do that.

Kind regards,
Peter