Re: linux-6.9.4 or firmware broke monitor type/size detection for Dell box?

On 24/06/13 03:38PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 6/13/24 05:00, Christian Heusel wrote:
> > Did you already have a chance to see if downgrading the linux package
> > helps? You can get a older version from [here][0]:
> >
> > sudo pacman -Uhttps://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/linux/linux-6.9.3.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
> >
> > Then please also share the full logs ;)
>
> Thank you Christian!
>
> Just downgraded to 6.9.3 and the display comes up full-HD 1920x1080 at
> console and in X. So it is definitely 6.9.4.

Huh, this is interesting 🤔 This could possibly be a regression within
the stable series ... Could you please open a bugreport on the [linux
package][0] so we could debug the issue together there?

Most likely one of the backported bugfixes that was applied to the
stable series had some unexpected sideeffects. There are a few display
related commits, but I'm struggling to point anything out directly.

I'd say we try to bisect the issue down to the relevant commit so we can

> Which logs? I have dmesg from each kernel, but at least by my eyes they are
> pretty much identical, nothing stands out related to any display driver or
> framebuffer mode.
>
> I'm happy to compress and attach them, but it should probably go in a bug
> report as the list will likely strip attachments.
>
> Let me know what logs you want to see and where you want me to put them and
> I'll be happy to get them.

Yes, I'd say linking them on [some pastebin][1] would also be good! But
if you open a bugreport you can also just attach the files there 🤗

Cheers,
gromit

[0]: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/linux/-/issues/new
[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_IRC_channels#Collaborative_debugging