Re: What's with the kernels that seem to stay stuck in core-testing longer than they used to?

On 4/26/24 20:25, Johnathan Null wrote:
I ask for scheduling purposes. I monitor the newsfeeds from the package
repos and when I see a new kernel coming, I try and set aside a
convenient time for the update/reboot. Past few kernels, I've done that
only to find - they are still in testing.

Not a complaint, just a curiosity.

Haven't paid the closest attention, but I do try to update first thing
every morning, and I've not noticed this. With LTS kernels, those I've seen
linger a bit.

Thank you for the reply. I initially thought it was waiting on something like the Nvidia driver, but those move on through. Maybe systemd? Saw 255.5-1 hit core-testing on 4/24 with the linux 6.8.7.arch1-2 kernel (and the linux-lts 6.6.28-2 kernel), and now we have systemd 255.5-2 that hit earlier today.

I too run both linux and linux-lts (in case there is a surprise on linux update), but hadn't really seen a distinction between the hold times on the two. I'll pay closer attention.

Oh well, like I said, not complaining, just curious. I've not had an update packaging OOPS in years on core packages, so what the package process is doing is working really well - no need to hurry it. The kernel observation is only a pedantic observation - which inquiring minds just have to know why? :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.