Re: Fwd: [to Arch General] Consolidating our mkinitcpio hooks

On 3/3/24 07:51, nl6720 wrote:
On Sunday, 3 March 2024 00:07:25 EET David C. Rankin wrote:
I've followed the mkinitcpio v38 thread and efforts to not break systems. This
has me concerned.

I have 3 Arch servers with many mdadm RAID arrays. What changes will I have to
make regarding mdadm_udev to ensure my system doesn't break?

Will simply updating once all the packages hit the mirrors be all that is
required?:

* mkinitcpio 38-1
* systemd xxxx
* lvm2 xxxx
* mdadm xxxx
* cryptsetup xxxx

Or will manual intervention be needed?

The hook files are simply moved between packages (plus some minor changes).
Conflicts on all involved packages will ensure that you can only
install/upgrade together which should prevent breakage.

For mdadm_udev use case, things will only break if you are still using the
deprecated mdadm hook, since the mdadm→mdadm_udev symlink is now dropped.

nl6720

This is where I'm confused. I have no mdadm symlink, but I do have a hook in mkinitcpio.conf, e.g.

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf keyboard block mdadm_udev filesystems fsck)

That's fine -- right?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.