Future of libdepends and libprovides

Hi,

I've just seen the mail https://lists.archlinux.org/hyperkitty/list/arch-dev-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/6T5EZZDWO2ETO6P5M6HPMBKTB46W3U4Y on the
"staff only" list. Since this probably affects AUR packages and other places
where the whole community is involved such as the Wiki and unofficial repos I
think it should be discussed here as well.

Am Montag, 4. März 2024, 14:43:54 CET schrieb Balló György:
> In short term, we should revert this commit [3] at distribution level
> to avoid breakages.

That would be much appreciated, also from my point of view as AUR package
maintainer and maintainer of an unofficial repository. (If official packages need
to be updated then I assume the same also applies to AUR packages. This will
probably take even longer as every maintainer will have to take care of their
packages individually.)

> In long term, we have to decide via RFC what to do with libdepends and
> libprovides. We could probably make a slow, manual transition to the
> new 'autodeps' feature in pacman, but it still does not support
> optional autodeps, [4] which means that would be impossible to mark any
> binary deps as optional.

That's of course problematic for plugins or binaries only required for
optional features. I think we need a solution for that before enabling this
new 'autodeps' feature globally by default.

I also hope that the 'autodeps' feature will not run into problems with
special libraries, e.g. ones that are only intended for cross-compilation
purposes like https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/android-x86-64-zlib. It would
be very annoying if one had to exclude those libraries manually. Having to add
`options=('!autodeps')` would probably be ok although it means updating tons
of AUR packages maintained by different people and of course also updating the
relevant Wiki pages.

Speaking of the Wiki: It still mentions library dependencies, e.g. in the last
paragraph of https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PKGBUILD#depends. This section
should be updated and the alternative be documented instead if you decide to
actually remove the support. It would also make sense to announce that change
on https://archlinux.org so people actually know that they should stop using
libdepends/libprovides.

Note that I think moving forward with 'autodeps' is generally useful. For
maintaining my own repository I even introduced a feature in my build service
to keep track of all the dependencies on soname-level so I know when I'll have
to rebuild packages. So this is the right approach - we just need to be
careful no break existing packages/workflows without a transition period and
clear announcements.

Best Reagards
Marius