Re: Radicale is unmaintained upstream, but no other good alternative in official repos

I guess you can use nextcloud with sqlite?

On Mon, Feb 5, 2024, 11:36 Marius Kittler <mkittler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Montag, 5. Februar 2024, 14:51:05 CET schrieb D. Debnath:
> Last commit is on April 22, 2023:
> https://github.com/Kozea/Radicale/commits/master/
>
> Last release on July 15, 2022: https://github.com/Kozea/Radicale/releases

The the last commit is only from 10 month ago. That's not *that* long and for
a more or less completed project like Radicale it is also expected that
development has slowed down. That there was no response by the maintainer in
many recent PR is problematic, though.

> Among the list of CalDAV/CardDAV servers mentioned in the wiki
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_of_applications/Other#CalDAV/CardDAV_
> servers>, Baikal seems to be a good alternative that is also maintained.
>
> Last commit 10 hours ago: https://github.com/sabre-io/Baikal/commits/master/
>
> Last release on November 16, 2023:
> https://github.com/sabre-io/Baikal/releases

Unfortunately Baikal is also a bit problematic. It is now maintained again but
development has also slowed down. Actually, I think they are mostly only
adding changes to support newer PHP versions. That's also brings me to the
next problem with Baikal: It breaks frequently on a PHP update and one
sometimes needs to run it on an older PHP version.

> While there is an AUR package of Baikal
> <https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/baikal>, I try to avoid installing
> AUR packages as much as possible. How do I request arch packagers to
> package Baikal in the official repos?

I'm the maintainer of that package by the way. I suppose if one of the official
packagers wanted to maintain it then we'd already have it; not sure whether
you even can request a package to be taken over.

Some additional thoughts:

I think there is there's currently no clear winner when it comes to small and
stand-alone CalDav/CardDav solutions. I've actually moved to using Radicale
after Baikal broke again at some point after a PHP update.

One advantage of Radicale over Baikal is that Radicale doesn't require a
database which makes setup and backups easier.

I have my Baikal setup still running for other users I haven't migrated so far
and also to be able to switch back easily if I need to. (So I'm going to
maintain Baikal in the AUR for the foreseeable future and I'm also still going
to be adding patches for problems on PHP updates as soon as I discover them
and find a solution.)