Re: polkit upgrade warning

Hi Ralf,

> > why doesn't pacman change the permissions at package upgrade?
> Custom, unusual permissions may be required for a user's system.

Yes.

> IMO permissions are similar to configurations.  New configurations are
> required from time to time, but you don't want that a package upgrade
> does overwrite your configurations.

Say my first install of a package creates /etc/p.conf.  I don't edit it.
Then the package is upgraded; upstream provide an altered p.conf.
I'd expect p.conf to be changed and I think that's what happens.

Similarly, if the package made a directory on installation and I left
its permissions untouched then an upstream change of permissions should
flow down to me.  Only if I've moved away from the old upstream should
the permission-change be skipped.

Perhaps there's another reason why pacman doesn't pass on upstream
permission changes.

--
Cheers, Ralph.