Re: boot partition expansion

On Mon, 2024-01-15 at 16:39 -0500, Genes Lists wrote:
>   Benefits of no fallback:
>    * smaller space usage and much faster regeneration of initrd

Hi,

no doubt there are some use cases where an installation should be kept
as small as possible, but on an average desktop laptop computer or
server a GiB more or less doesn't matter these days.

I use a 4 GiB ESP partition and my Arch Linux /boot, which contains the
kernels, is part of the root directory instead of being its own
partition. IOW hundreds of unused GiB are available.

When I compare /boot/ with e.g. /usr/lib/firefox/ and similar paths, I
come to the conclusion that it is irrelevant if you oversize one or the
other partition and in return you never have to move and enlarge
partitions and after that to reinstall the bootloader or to waste
thoughts on the fact that you can save fallback.imgs.

In my opinion, this saves resources at the wrong end. Yes, "regeneration
of initrd" takes a while, but when this happens you can still use the
computer, you don't need to live watch the messages, you can read them
later, when the upgrade has finished, after maybe 5 minutes on a very
slow machine with many kernels installed.

Regards,
Ralf