Re: What is the plan for dhcpd/kea?

On Tue, 2023-12-19 at 14:19 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote

>    The wiki notes the successor in the first paragraph
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dhcpd but there is no Kea page and
> no
> indication if Arch will start packaging Kea.

Arch has been packaging kea for quite a long time actually 🙂

  https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/kea/

Its also mentioned here:
 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Router#DNS_and_DHCP

>    For those of us with long standing ISC bind/dhcpd setups what does
> the
> future look like on Arch? Will there be a Kea at some point?

I switched to kea some time back - it is a significant improvement
including having support for primary, secondary (hot spare) and backup
servers. They call it 'high availability' or HA.

Not having a hot backup dhcp server can be pretty nasty if the one and
only server becomes unavailable for some reason. It has been working
well for me for quite some time now.

Only thing a bit ugly was the complicated / duplicative configs - in
which similar/same info needs to be provided for all 3 servers configs.
I created a little tool to generate the 3 sets of configs from a single
source file for my kea-dhcp4 servers (It's in aur) which cleaned things
up nicely.

gene