Re: Can't connect to a 5GHz WiFi network

Hi Sadeep,

On Thursday, 16 November 2023 at 15:09 (+0800), Sadeep Madurange wrote:
Since this Tuesday, my Arch machine, a ThinkPad T490, can't connect to a specific 5GHz WiFi network called gcat. The network is working fine because my work laptop, a ThinkPad X1 also running Arch, and my Android phone both connect to gcat just fine. Also, I can connect to a 2.4GHz network from the same access point.

I don't think this is a problem with 5GHz networks. When I create a 5GHz hotspot with my mobile phone, this machine connects to it successfully. Initially, I couldn't see gcat in wifi-menu. So, I deleted the netctl profile for gcat and restarted the machine, after which I saw gcat again in wifi-menu. When I enter the password, wifi-menu tells me that it failed to connect to gcat.

I recommend checking that the regulatory domain of your laptop matches that of the hotspot. When they don't match, the hotspot can advertise on channels that are disabled on the laptop.

The wiki has a note about this, as well as how to set it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Wireless#Respecting_the_regulatory_domain

Best,
Jaron