Re: Incoming changes in JDK /JRE packages

Hi Richard,

On 12/10/2023 16:47, Richard Ullger wrote:
Hi Leonidas,

Replying here as my reply to arch-dev-public was rejected.

I currently have jre packages installed.
Your system has JRE installed and technically to execute `tuxguitar` (using it as an example) you don't need JDK - that is correct and will be before and after the suggested change on the JDK/JRE packages.
When I build a package such as
tuxguitar, that contains a make dependency for the jdk packages, makepkg
installs the jdk packages and then removes them following the build,
having been asked to do so.

Going forward, I expect makepkg will install the jdk packages and
uninstall the conflicting jre packages.

Following the build when makepkg uninstalls the build packages, is
makepkg clever enough to reinstall the jre packages, or should I just
keep the jdk packages installed instead?

If you are building packages from AUR (or official ones) with `makepkg` which on a PKGBUILD which has makedepends `java-environment` (or JDK) you will need a JDK installed to compile java. The JDK _after_ the proposed change will contain both JDK and JRE components so you don't need the JRE after and can keep the JDK installed to satisfy the `java-runtime` dependency

If you'd like to keep using the JRE only on your system and not having a JDK install then you'd have to start building packages in an isolated environment - clean chroot which is much better since your system doesn't pollute the package you are building - and you don't care much about what dependencies it's installing during build or check since all these are isolated on the chroot environment - see more on the wiki [1]. Of course this comes with its own limitation for AUR since it cannot resolve dependencies from AUR but you can inject them during build in the chroot env - see help page.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers,

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_clean_chroot

--