Re: Any though of having archlinux-keyring-wkd-sync check for iptables and recommend rule?

Christian <syphdias+archlinuxml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > No, outbound was fine, it was the INPUT chain block from the 95.216 ranges
> > that got me. […]
>
> I might be wrong but this thread reads like there is a
> misunderstanding of what the difference is between "inbound" and
> "INPUT".
> The two phrases are not the same. At the risk of mansplaining the
> difference, I hope this clears up some confusion.
>
> First let us define "inbound" and "outbound".
> "inbound" usually refers to packets to your computer/machine (e.g. internet).
> "outbound" usually refers to packets from your computer/machine to
> somewhere else (internet, NAS, etc.).
>
> "INPUT" refers to an iptables chain [1].
> Both inbound and outbound packets will go through this chain (for
> nftables this is very similar but the name of the chain might be
> different).

Referring to the figure at
https://netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO-6.html
, are you saying

    A program running on the box can send network packets. These packets
    pass through the OUTPUT chain only if the INPUT chain allows it

?

If you do, note my understanding of statement 4 at buttom of the link
is different. Am I wrong?

--
u34