Re: Install a package to alternative location

On 8/17/23 16:20, Jeanette C. wrote:
Hey hey,
my system partition is as good as full, so I wonder if there is a safe method to install packages to alternative locations. The packages in question are android-studio-system and android-ndk.

Extending the system partition is unfeasible. Yes, it is bad planning.

Hi
Another option to consider, since you have disk space on different partition is to consider using the space either by mounting that partition or perhaps more conveniently 'bind mounting' one or more directories from that partition with more space.

For example, lets say you have a partition somewhere (same or different disk is not important) - lets call it a 'data' partition and assume for discussion it's currently mounted on /data.

Now you can migrate /var/cache (as an example) from root partition to /data partition.

  mkdir -p /data/var/cache
  rsync  -axHAX /var/cache /data/var/
  mv /var/cache /var/cache.orig;
  mkdir /var/cache

Add an entry to fstab ( do not change the existing /data entry) - we're only adding a line to bind mount part of it

  /data/var/cache /var/cache bind none 0 0

  mount /var/cache

 When you comfortable all is ok - you can delete /var/cache.orig

You can do same with /home (if it's on root disk as well) or even all of /var - for doing /home you may want to do this from USB installer boot - or from a root login on a virtual terminal (obviously you cant be logged in to any user with home directory on /home). For doing all of /var I would do it from booted installer disk not on live system

Anyway - another possibility to consider - perhaps you'll find it helpful.

gene