Re: Can I "vote" for updating an outdated package?

Hello,

I would like to point out in most cases, you will just need to wait for the maintainer to get time to update the packages, they are informed when the package is flagged out of date that they need to update the package, all maintainers have their own priorities.

For feature updates, or small fixes these are often not the priority, you can always email the TU and ask, however some TUs might not be so open to having people email them requesting them to update x and y packages, especially with many Arch Staff having long backlogs, so your email will probably not even be seen for a long period of time until they have caught up on all their emails.

As this is a "major" issue, the best thing you can do is post the issue on the bug tracker (if it has not already been posted there) with the solution to the problem (which is bump the package to the latest version). This tends to get the package more noticed, and therefore prioritised.

But at the end of the day, you just have to wait, there are tons of people waiting for packages to be updated, and maintainers can't bump a package for one person and not another.

The following is extremely useful:

- Posting bugs with the software, whether a bug with upstream (please link the upstream bug report if it exists within the arch bug report), or a bug with the package (such as files not being installed into the right locations, or missing dependencies etc).

- Maintain packages on the AUR, this is the best way to work your way up to eventually becoming a TU (package maintainer) in which you can help out on the official repository, everyone has got to start somewhere.

I know it sounds stupid that you are asking for something to be fixed, and I am telling you ways to contribute, but if you want to make a difference, that is the only way (contributing).

TL;DR report the bug on the arch bug tracker linking the github discussion and commit you have sent in this email within the bug report (only do this if the bug has not already been filed), and then just wait.

Hope this helps,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760