Re: What laptop's do you guys like?

On 7/23/23 00:10, Polarian wrote:
Hello,

Although this is a little off topic because this is hardware relating to Arch Linux and not Arch Linux itself, I am curious to see what others use.

ArchWiki has laptop pages, but that doesn't show what people prefer to use with Arch Linux.

So I have a few questions:

- What Laptop do you use currently for Arch Linux?
- What do you use the Laptop for?
- If you could buy any Laptop for Arch Linux right now, what would you buy?

I got a feeling there will be a range of responses, some standing behind old Lenovo Thinkpads, and some vouching for modern laptops.

One final question, is there any Laptop company you feel will be a good asset to the Linux community as a whole? Or better, Arch Linux directly :P

If you respond, thank you for your time :)

Have a good night,

I am using a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 for general usage, several years old.

It has a i7 processor, 8GB ram, Intel Graphics and AMDGPU Topaz Graphical cards and off course WiFi, Bluetooth, normal hard disk, intel audio.
The battery doesn't function anymore.

The laptop is dual boot Windows 10 or Arch Linux.
It cannot be upgraded to Windows 11.

When starting it with Windows 10 it takes quite some time before you can well use it. Initially everything is rather slow.

When starting it with Arch Linux you can use it well immediately.
Therefore I prefer using it with Arch Linux.

From what I read on this list I have the impression it's better to stay away from computers with NVidia Graphical cards.

Regards, ~Z