Re: What laptop's do you guys like?

One word: ThinkPad.
Newer ThinkPads work well too, but the older Core 2 Duo ones are
especially great, because they all support Libreboot (so no proprietary
blobs necessary), every feature just works, easy to repair, almost
impossible to break, and the best keyboard a laptop can possibly have.

Especially ThinkPad X200 and T400 are highly popular to both Linux and
OpenBSD users, but X220, T420, R500, X200s, and W700 aren't uncommon
either.
However, these laptops are typically used for use with tiling window
managers, you can technically run KDE Plasma or Gnome on them, but
experience will be ass.

ThinkPads aren't as popular among users of Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Manjaro,
FreeBSD, Fedora, and other so-called "stable" distro's, but they are
very popular among users of Arch/Artix, Gentoo, Void, CRUX, KISS, Venom,
OpenBSD, 9front, and any other "minimalist" distro's and operating
systems.
So it's a meme if you see somebody in public using an old ThinkPad,
they're either woke, or actually cool people (because you can't be both
at the same time).

I actually don't use any laptop for Arch, mine run OpenBSD and Gentoo.
I use Artix on my desktop at home, I wish I could use upstream Arch, but
not a fan of systemd.

I use my laptop for everything when I'm not home.
When I'm home, I compile ports, all my computers run over my WireGuard
network, so I can just SSH into my desktop PC from wherever I want.

For laptop companies, depends on what you really mean.
If you mean companies that install Linux by default, there's System76,
Purism, and Think Penguin, all are pretty expensive, and none can be
found in electronics stores due to their niche nature.
Another laptop company that doesn't install Linux by default, but is
pretty friendly to it, is Framework Laptop.

Among the more mainstream laptop brands, Lenovo is (or rather was) the
most friendly to Linux, only their more recent laptops aren't as
Linux-friendly.
Dell and HP generally work well with Linux as well, and older MacBook
Pro's and Surface Pro 3 are surprisingly well supported by the Linux
Kernel maintainers.

But I should add that as long as the laptop doesn't use an Nvidia card,
and an older WiFi card than the most shiny, you shouldn't experience too
much problems with any laptop.
Another major deal breaker is audio, lots of audio drivers are poorly
supported, but this has been getting much better in recent years.
Nvidia is the single worst company Linus Torvals has ever dealt with, so
much so, he even pointed a middle finger at them at one point in time.

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html