Re: Install Arch Linux

Hello,

I will keep this brief because I am on my phone, and its awkward to write emails.

Secure boot is a little bit of a intimidation as you think it keeps your system "secure" but in reality secure boot simply checks if the kernel you are booting is signed, therefore legitimate.

Most Linux distros I have seen have secure boot support as experimental, but in general disabling secure boot for Linux is completely safe, however it does mean you got to be careful and trust the media you are booting.

Secure boot is considered by some as a Microsoft lockin, because Microsoft pushes for Secure boot on all systems to "keep them secure", so its personal opinion.

TL;DR you most likely will see no security difference having secure boot disabled apart from it allowing anything to be booted, including malicious software.

See the archwiki for details on secure boot: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface/Secure_Boot

Personally I think its a trivial step, because Arch Linux signs their kernels and the initramfs is generated by mkinitcpio on kernel install and upgrade, therefore chances of tampering with the kernel is very unlikely.

Its a bit like viruses, check before you click and you will be fine.

Have a good day,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760