Re: Consolidating our mkinitcpio hooks

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 12:36:10PM +0000, Jordan Glover wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 25th, 2023 at 4:31 PM, Morten Linderud <foxboron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently we have a lot of our mkinitcpio hooks in several packages which has
> > never been consolidated. This makes it confusing where stuff belong and what is
> > provided where, and I really want to consolidate everything.
> >
> > It would help keeping up the development of the hooks, patch everything and
> > ultimately write a test suite for mkinitcpio.
> >
> > I also have long term plans on moving the default hooks from busybox to systemd,
> > but this will happen at a later point.
> >
> > Initially I really want to move the hooks from `cryptsetup` and `systemd`:
> >
> > * encrypt and sd-encrypt from core/cryptsetup
> > * systemd and udev from core/systemd
>
> What if new cryptsetup release will need some changes in the hook? How would
> you ensure mkinitcpio hook and cryptsetup (or any other package requiring a
> hook) are kept in sync?

That is why the topic is up for public discussion. It's unclear to me what the
current package maintainers find acceptable/unacceptable.

> What are the pros of consolidation?

We can move to the systemd hooks and actually support stuff upstream. We can
also work on a test suite that would make it easier to ensure we dont introduce
regressions and maintain some code quality.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16