Re: Pacman: There are N providers available for X

Hi LW,

> While that will probably work I feel it's error-prone and to much work.
>
> Maybe this is an X-Y problem.
> Why is having to answer the N-providers-for-X questions a problem ?

I explained the X of X-Y earlier and thought it was accepted as clear.

- How to reproduce the packages installed on machine A on machine B.
- Assume both are similar hardware so that's not an issue.
- Do not alter machine A.  It may not even still be available.
- Preserve whether a package was explicitly installed or installed as a
  dependency.
- Automatically resolve the virtual package 1-of-N choices.

In other words, bundle up some data on A, move it to B, and ‘Voilà!’.

> Ralph and Eric had the same idea, creating a list of packages
> installed as dependencies and use that for the new system.

I think installing D, the set of A's packages installed as dependencies,
may want some of E's, the explicitly installed ones.  So I'm now
thinking:

    a$ pacman -Qq  >a.all
    a$ pacman -Qqe >a.explicit

    b$ pacman -S --asdeps     --needed <a.all
    b$ pacman -S --asexplicit --needed <a.explicit

The last command is ideally just altering the reason for installation.
What's not clear to me from the pacman(1) here is whether --needed
detecting a package is up to date cancels any --asdeps/--asexplicit.

--
Cheers, Ralph.