Re: Dual Root setup

On 3/4/23 12:56, Genes Lists wrote:

I know there's lots of info available about dual boot - but not much I could find on Dual Root.

What is Dual Root?

   This is a machine with 2 "root" disks where the second one is a hot standby - in event of root disk failure the second disk can be booted very quickly. This makes recovering very fast and thereafter replacing the bad drive and rebuilding very straightforward.  And no new install needed!

   I have now set this up on a few machines and its working well - so I wrote up some notes and am sharing them in case others who may be interested in doing something similar might find them useful.

    My notes explaining how to do this are available here:
    https://github.com/gene-git/blog

best

gene

I created a new repo for the code and provided an AUR package for it as well.

   https://github.com/gene-git/dual-root
   https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dual-root

I'd appreciate wider testing with the currently booted ESP detection
Please run the script as non-root with no arguments (or -h for help)

   dual-root-tool

It should identify the esp used to boot current system and where it is mounted and print them out. Should work regardless of number of esp partitions on the system (1 or more).

There is a companion bind-mount-efi which will bind mount the current esp onto /boot if its not bound. It uses "-b" option of the tool to
do this. See README for more info on setting up dual root.

Some more coding to do still do but at this point I'm happy to share more widely.

Thanks again to all.

gene