Re: Dual Root setup

On 3/4/23 15:56, Polarian wrote:

Thanks

I mentioned a few benefits in my earlier replies here's a quick summary:

  Pros:
    - clear and simple.
    - any system admin can understand what it is (No hidden gimmicks)
    - can easily be added to any existing system with available disk
    - no requirements on disk other than adequate size
    - the 2 (or more) root disks do not need to be same size
    - Only downtime to doing this is being offline to add new disk.
      configuration all done on live system doing its normal job
    - its tested and works. Tested on a few different systems,
      some with RAID some without.

  Cons
    - Syncing is currently simple/imperfect
      At moment I use a simple script.
      This can definitely be improved using inotify.
      Inotify options:
       - inotify-tools package plus scripting
       - custom daemon (C or python both look quite doable)

Thanks.