Re: I think I found a quite severe bug, what is the next step?

Howdy,

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 03:37:36PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi Storm,

$ sudo cat /dev/vcsa
cat: /dev/vcsa1: No such device or address

That error is errno ENXIO, see errno(3).

One view of the kernel source code has vcs_open() return that errno
under some conditions, but I can't help more than that.

   https://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v6.0.9/drivers/tty/vt/vc_screen.c#L744
   if (currcons && !vc_cons_allocated(currcons - 1))
       ret = -ENXIO;

--
Cheers, Ralph.

Fortunately a change has been pushed to Fenrir's master branch that
works around the issue. The vcs* devices show the contents, then error
out. I'm guessing that's why I saw some output on a couple of cats, but
then none on most of them. I was probably too slow reviewing the screen.

At this point, I'm about 99.99 percent sure we have a kernel bug
on our hands.  I have never reported any issues with
the kernel, and I'm not sure what the process is for this. I guess it's
time for a bit of research.

The only thing that makes me wonder if it really is a kernel bug is, I'm
using LTS, and the other people who experience it that I have spoken
with are using the latest kernel, 6.something. LTS is 5.15.94. So why
did we all start noticing this at the same time? Seems like they should
have found it first, and I would have gotten to it eventually if it
weren't fixed.