Re: Linux kernel: delay before power-off

Hi,

Am So., 22. Jan. 2023 um 07:20 Uhr schrieb Markus Schaaf
<markuschaaf@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Cursory reading some kernel sources, I could not find any knob.
> But while looking through the code, I realized that a simple
> module could do the trick. So here it is:
> https://github.com/markuschaaf/linux-delay_power_off

Before attempting to install your kernel module, I'd like to verify
that it is actually needed for me.  To find out about this, I am
attaching the current ``# smartctl -A /dev/nvm0n1`` output.  There are
127 "Unsafe Shutdowns" counted.

I have been working with this machine for 5-6 years now.  It is very
rare that I shut it down ungracefully by pressing the power button.

Can you maybe detail a little the actual symptoms of these unsafe
shutdowns?  My box is dual-booting Arch Linux and Windows 10 Pro.  To
move data from one system to the other, there is an ExFAT partition on
the SSD.  Sometimes I observe somewhat "strange" phenomena when using
this partition.  I guessed that it might be shutdown-related and
therefore am mounting/unmounting the volume when my user 'friedrich'
logs in and off, but the "stangeness" was, if I am not mistaken, not
entirely remedied by this step.  I remember my symptoms rather
vaguely, but it has to do with files missing on Windows, while a boot
back into Linux, logging on and off, and rebooting Windows might have
sorted the issue.  I am sorry that I cannot give more reliable
details.

I never asked for help on mailing lists because my anamnesis is
inprecise and cannot pinpoint the issue.  But with your ideas, I'd
like to give it a try, to maybe solve (and understand!) the problem.

Best,
Friedrich
smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.1.7-arch1-1] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        26 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          10%
Percentage Used:                    2%
Data Units Read:                    73,127,101 [37.4 TB]
Data Units Written:                 29,719,744 [15.2 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 1,120,356,080
Host Write Commands:                596,524,911
Controller Busy Time:               2,469
Power Cycles:                       7,473
Power On Hours:                     2,435
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   127
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      8,383
Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Temperature Sensor 1:               26 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               29 Celsius