Re: Python 3.11 timeline?

On 2022-11-08 11:18:57 (-0500), David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Anyone know if there's any timeline on when we'll see python 3.11 get
> released to Arch?  I emailed the maintainer about this directly recently,
> but didn't hear anything back.
>
> I know this is a big upgrade, and lots of dependent packages are involved,
> so this might require some time.  I just was wondering if there was any
> roadmap/timeline for how long that might be.

Hi David,

we are on and off working on it, but not in the past weeks.
There are quite a few things to figure out, as described here [1]
although a lot of them have been solved technically already.
Other than that, there are also a few (potentially) blocking TODOs
[2][3].

As it stands, there is no fixed timeline for Python3.11 and personally I
do not think it will be possible this year. I will be quite busy with
other things until next year and there are holidays coming up. This
might be different for others involved.

Aside from the above, we will also need to assess the overlap with
migrating our infra [4] and what this means for automated tooling.

Therefore, I would not hold my breath ;-)
However, if you want to help out with the bootstrap tooling, join
#archlinux-python on libera.chat.

Best,
David

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/archives/list/arch-dev-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/ZK57U5LPIDDJWPXWU5DSIYSI3EWUBGPP/