Re: Keeping desktop PC and laptop in sync

On 11/2/22 14:23, ente wrote:
On Mon, 2022-10-31 at 16:24 +0100, Óscar García Amor wrote:
El lun, 31 oct 2022 a las 16:06, Joel (<j-archlinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)
escribió:

as we have a [..] syncs.

Any thoughts / recommendations / advices ?
Synthing. Don't complicate yourself. It is not necessary to have the
dry-run because Syncthing will keep the repositories (directories)
that you tell it to keep completely synchronized in real time, you do
not have to be launching the command every time you want to
synchronize.

--
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org |http://ogarcia.me
I've been using rsync, unison and nowadays I am using syncthing. My
latest setup, which I am super duper happy with: basically I have 3
devices running syncthing: my workstation, my laptop and a small
raspberry. The main issue with unison was only: when shall I run it?
Just before I leave, I am usually stressed. It's when I am on my way
that I suddenly miss some of my latest files. That's what I have the
raspberry for. When I leave, I turn off the workstation, which at that
time will be in sync with the raspberry. When I arrive at the hotel, my
laptop will sync with the raspberry. No missing files anymore.
Now: the rsync comes in play. On the raspberry I have multiple hard
disks connected. Once a day at night, I perform an incremental backup
using rsync and hard links. In case there is ever some sync issue, I
can go into the backup and pick the file from yesterday or any day
before.
For syncthing: do not sync the entire home folder; just sync each
folder individually. It turned out to be of an advantage: I nowadays
sync a few of the folders with my phone. And my setup grew with time.
There are more devices and the sync structure got more complex. When
you start to love syncthing as much as I do, you might add some more
devices.
[...]

Hi,

many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I've given syncthing a try as this was the most recommended. Also the point of being able to sync after having left is a nice feature !

I've set up multiple sync targets for ~/Documents, ~/git_repos etc... and the sync works like a charm

Now I had a look at my home directory, and found many dot files (.zshrc, .emacs, etc) and dot directories I also wanted to sync. Ente's recommendation was to set up sync individually, but this will not really scale :-(

My idea was to set up a sync for my whole home directory, add an ignore pattern for *, and then include the single dot files and dot dirs individually using negated ignore patterns. Of course, with this kind of setup, I could also add the ~/Documents etc from above in the same unique sync target

Sounds a bit weird ... so am I on the right track or is there a more elegant way of doing ?

Thanks

Joel