Re: Wiki - Error: Warning: You have not provided an edit summary... I did comply with 3 fundamental rules

On 05/02/22 at 08:23pm, David C. Rankin via arch-general wrote:
On 2/5/22 3:06 PM, Jason Ryan via arch-general wrote:
On 05/02/22 at 02:35pm, David C. Rankin via arch-general wrote:

 The wiki has become almost impossible to help with.
…
 Over the past 11 years the wiki has increasing become hostile to user
contributions. I hope this is a temporary bug.

This is hyperbole, and unfounded. I get your frustration, but don't
malign the team that works tremendously hard to maintain the wiki.

 The edit summary was:

/* Added Section - IOS Files can no longer copy-to Samba share on Archlinux
beginning with IOS 14.5 */

See the note here, your issue is explicitly addressed:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ArchWiki:Contributing#Always_properly_use_the_edit_summary

Okay:

Note: When clicking Edit on a section header, /* Section name */ gets
prefilled in the summary field. It is not a comment syntax. The text between
/* and */ gets turned in a link to a section of the page.

So what is your point? I've edited the wiki hundreds of time and I fill in the
edit summary per the directions and it always works -- until now.

I fill in an edit summary explaining:

"... in a succinct way, what has been done and why ..."

And yes, this is frustrating. What is the magic-trick here that was not a
magic-trick before?

The “magic-trick” is to append the summary after the section name, so
that it makes sense in the history and in people's inboxes. See my edit:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Samba#IOS_Files_can_no_longer_copy-to_Samba_share_on_Archlinux_beginning_with_IOS_14.5

--

// jwr