Re: Difficulty installing UEFI

On 11/15/21 5:11 PM, Konstantin Gizdov via arch-general wrote:
On 11/16/21 00:06, Paul M. Foster via arch-general wrote:
On 11/15/21 4:52 PM, Bjoern Franke via arch-general wrote:
Hi,
I have a 2017 Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 that I'm using to try to install
Arch on a hard drive. I've formatted the drive (under Arch, using fdisk,
with gpt partition, etc.), gone through the installation up to the point
where I run grub-install with this command:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck

what device did you use for installing? Did you select "Boot UEFI"? Is
"BIOS Legacy"-mode enabled in BIOS?

Regards
Bjoern
Not sure I understand what you mean. I used a thumb drive with the Arch
ISO on it, and tweaked the BIOS to boot that drive first.

Paul

There are two places where this is important. First, when creating a USB
stick with an Arch ISO, you need to create it as a UEFI bootable USB
stick. Then you also need to boot that USB stick in UEFI mode when
trying to install to a machine.

If you do not create a UEFI compatible USB in the first place, you won't
be able to boot it in UEFI mode later. However, even if you have a UEFI
USB, you can still boot it in legacy support mode (BIOS) and that will
not install/enable UEFI support on your new installation.

Well, I created this USB stick with dd. I used the basic ISO available on the Arch download mirrors. I'm assuming from what you say that a stick built from dd wouldn't satisfy what you're saying. If that's the case, how do you prepare a USB stick as a UEFI device, and then how would you then copy the ISO to it properly?

Paul