Re: [arch-announce] Moving to Zstandard images by default on mkinitcpio

Le 21/02/2021 à 02:56, Geert Hendrickx via arch-general a écrit :
On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 21:25:21 +0100, mpan via arch-general wrote:
I benchmarked it on my mkinitcpio image, and zstd with mkinitcpio's […]
Though you have benchmarked a wrong thing. It’s decompression time that
matters here, not compression. The image is compressed to make it load
faster during boot and that’s the important metric here.

Compression time matters also, since on many systems an initramfs gets
booted only once or a few times for every time one gets generated, and
zstd -19 is ridiculously slow for larger files,  However mkinitcpio v30
reverted to zstd's default compression level 3, which is much better.

Excepted that decompression is a blocking event for boot, while compression is async.

Anyway, based on the benchmark published on the PR that reverted to the default level, using -8 seems the best tradeoff for fast compression and small size, and −18 if space really is an issue (or you’re reading the file from a floppy…).

Also, on most systems nowadays we are talking about changes in the order of hundreds of milliseconds, while I take ~5s to type my entire LUKS passphrase on boot. So…