Re: [arch-announce] Moving to Zstandard images by default on mkinitcpio

Am Sat, 20 Feb 2021 07:50:58 -0300
schrieb Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general
<arch-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Em fevereiro 20, 2021 2:52 mike lojkovic via arch-general escreveu:
> > zstd is even faster at decompressing at boot than lz4 now?
> >

> I don't think you'll notice much difference with either one.
>
> Regards,
> Giancarlo Razzolini

Depends on the system cpu power. On slow cpu systems lz4 is much faster
when compressing the image and also decompressing. Though you hardly
notice the decompression time difference.

On slow discs with a fast cpu a better compression may turn this around.

In many cases zstd compression gives a better compromise nowadays with a
powerful enough cpu. On my older systems with fast discs but slow cpus
I keep using lz4.

-Andy