Re: [arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Hi,

On 26. 01. 21 20:20, Evangelos Foutras via arch-dev-public wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 10:05, Evangelos Foutras <evangelos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Building Chromium without API keys results in a browser that is
unsuitable for production use. Removing the OAuth 2.0 credentials (or
when the Chrome team limits them) mainly breaks Chrome data sync
(e.g.: passwords, bookmarks, open tabs). Additionally removing the
main API key disables functionality like Safe Browsing and
Geolocation. I don't consider a browser with downgraded functionality
and security suitable for end users. [2]

I'd like to ask the devs, if they read this, to reconsider. I myself am a Firefox user. However, there are sites/web applications that just don't work in Firefox and probably never will. Some of them I have to use on a daily basis. For example, Microsoft Teams works perfectly fine in Chromium (audio, video, desktop sharing); it doesn't, to my knowledge, in Firefox. Skype works for chatting (unfortunatelly not for audio/video) in Chromium; while this is not perfect, chatting is in 95 % of times what I need. I remember even not being able to finish an order in an e-shop in Firefox once (I can't remember which shop it was) and I suspect this will happen more and more often. Frankly, since Chromium is only my browser for when stuff doesn't work in Firefox, I've never used Sync or geolocation or safe browsing. But it's still very useful to me having Chromium available as a second-choice browser in the repositories.

--
Regards,
Ondřej Kučera