Re: No login after update

Em agosto 19, 2020 17:04 Yaro Kasear escreveu:

Yes there is. The defaults are literally what's in the config file in
the archive and not on the filesystem. How would that not be a way to
determine default settings?

I'm not suggesting the package manager would have to understand the
settings, but it would be able to tell if the contents of that file are
different from another version. (Which it obviously does already,
otherwise it wouldn't know to make a pacnew file.)

I can't imagine it'd be that difficult for pacman to compare checksums
between files in /etc or /boot between versions of a package (If a
previous version is available.) and what's on /etc and determine if it
really needs to bother putting a pacnew file on the filesystem that
doesn't need to be there. It's already doing some sort of check between
what's in the package and what's on the filesystem already.

How is everything you just said, different than what pacman already does?
How would it determine not to create a .pacnew? If you can answer both these
questions, I'd encourage you to send patches to pacman. Because I couldn't
understand how what you said is any different than the current pacnew logic.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini