Re: How to get "b"-menu in Arch i3

On 7/15/19 4:35 PM, Shorrer via arch-general wrote:
'bmenu' is that thing like shown here?
https://classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=28824.msg246141#msg246141
If that's so then I think I've found it.

First, I don't know how things are working in Manjaro, but it seems like
you guys are using
our AUR so you should be familiar with the thing or you at the very
least heard about it.
If not and if you're interested in how it works then here is some
quick'n'dirty explanation:
it is community-provided repository of stuff that is required to create an
installable pacman package. "Stuff" is mostly a PKGBUILD script that
'makepkg' can use
to create a package (you can learn more at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository)

So, let's get back to 'bmenu'. Seems like we had this package in AUR but
it was removed.
Except it actually wasn't and you can still get all the data required to
create it.
However, this might not work. After all, the AUR page was taken down for
some reason...

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2019-January/029452.html

The bmenu package maintainer was also the upstream developer of the Github repository. Per that individual's request, the package was deleted...

Looking at the PKGBUILD raises a few eyebrows. Why does it pull from some branch on git -- oh right, developer makes new versions but they aren't tagged, just pushed to the "aur" branch... what???

As with most things created by Manjaro users, I'm a lot more disturbed by the script than I am by the PKGBUILD. Try counting the number of times the "bmenu" script will fall back to running "sudo pacman -Sy ranger && ranger".

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User