Re: scsi_mod.use_blk_mq (revisited)

On 11-05-18 06:57, Randy DuCharme via arch-general wrote:
Greetings again,

I've been continuing to fool with this.  I'm hoping someone smarter than I
can shed a little more light on it.  Here's what I've discovered since my
last post.....

It seems that on my system, it takes more than the allowed 10 seconds for
the disks to appear.  I removed "quiet" from my boot command line and it
timed out looking for UUID=xxxx..... .  So I looked for it and it
definitely was not there.  None of the sdXx devices were.  I looked again,
and yet again (ls /dev/sd*) and after about the 3rd or 4th attempt they
showed up.  So then, I mounted /dev/sdc3 to /new_root/, typed 'exit' and
after a warning about possibly failing to run as a user instance, it booted.

Any clues as to why this occurs?  I'm trying to find a way to increase the
pre-boot disk probe timer if possible.  So far, all I've found are tips
about speeding up the boot process, not slowing it down.

Many thanks in advance.

In order for your drives to be detected the kernel modules needed by the hardware must be loaded and active. Your description matches a situation where some needed module is loaded too late in the boot process.

Use lspci -k to determine which kernel modules are needed for your sata / raid controllers and add that one to the modules= line in mkinitcpio.conf . Incase it's unclear which module is needed, try the one that handles the boot parameter (scsi_mod) .

LW