Re: Install Archlinux on HP Elitebook

On 2017-12-22 1:14 pm, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
On 12/20/2017 09:45 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
More of a workaround than a solution, but I stopped using grub
altogether once they upgraded to grub2.  (The complexity of the grub2
config file as compared to the simplicity of the grub-legacy menu.lst
file is what eventually turned me away.)  I've started using syslinux in
recent years, and have been quite happy with it.

Kind of offtopic for this thread, but "the grub2 config file is too
complex" is not actually a valid reason to stop using grub... because it
isn't even true in the first place.

... in your opinion.

Oh, wait. None of those have any such tool, and you are *required* to
write your own handwritten config. :p

Usually an example/stub config file is provided, which makes it very easy to adapt it to your needs.

And in fact, you can do the same exact thing with grub2 as well!
Consider my grub.cfg reproduced below, or Earnestly's example grub.cfg
at https://ptpb.pw/mk7y (courtesy of #archlinux on freenode):

Consider the simplicity of this grub.cfg. A couple simple variable flags
for setting colors and timeout, then the dead-simple menuentry for
booting, replicated a couple times for each kernel/initramfs I have.

Perhaps it's possible to hand-author a grub2 cfg to look like this. But whenever I went to edit a grub2 cfg on one of the systems I administer it always looked like a massive, complex bash script.

Even the grub.cfg that Arch ships reads more like a shell script than a config file:

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/grub.cfg?h=packages/grub

And I've seen grub.cfg files on other machines (mostly redhat-oriented) that run into thousands of lines.

I hate when people spread this misinformed FUD about grub, but I suppose it is largely grub's fault for encouraging the use of beginner tools and
making it seem intimidating to even learn how it works. :(

Not misinformation, or FUD, just a difference of opinion. In my opinion - and in my experience - the grub legacy menu.lst and the syslinux.cfg scripts are short, simple, and very easy to understand while the grub2 config scripts I've run into are extremely long, complicated, and hard to understand.

Hmm, I think I will invest the time in updating the Wiki page. This
travesty cannot continue, I must make sure people are well-informed.

I welcome any effort you make in trying to make the grub config simpler and more understandable. I have no inherent bias against the tool, and would be open to using it if I felt that it was becoming as easy to use as grub-legacy or syslinux.

DR