Basic questions about Linux's sound system

Hello,

semms I'm missing some basic parts of the sound system. I've been told, ALSA is for the hardware, pulseaudio is for the infrastructure, and bluez provides for virtual bluetooth devices, so I understand it should look like this (ASCII graphics, please use monospaced font for viewing):

   +------------+   +-----------+
   | Rosegarden |   |   Totem   |
   +------------+   +-----------+   +-----------------+
   |   Jack     |   | GStreamer |   | Appl. using PA  |
   |                Pulseaudio (PA)                   |
   |        ALSA        |   |         Bluez           |

This would imply, that ALSA cannot "see" Bluetooth devices, but that seems not to be the fact, so there's probably a misconfiguration on my laptop. There's a bridge (bluez-alsa-git) in the AUR, but I haven't installed it, so why can ALSA see my headset?

I'm asking this because of problems with HSP/HDP profile with my headset - if I've "coupled" the modules the wrong way, they'll probably block each other's functionality - especially, if ALSA and pulseaudio try to use the Bluez device at the same time ...

Kind regards
Peter